When I first began staining initiatives, unbeknownst to me, I used to be doing all of it improper. I made elementary newbie’s errors and I want I might have carried out some analysis, first! Now, I’ve discovered the arduous means the right methods to stain utilizing numerous trial and error and plenty of analysis. And now, I convey all of this information to YOU! If you’re studying this text, you’re in all probability about to stain—yay! I hope this tutorial is useful so that you can discover ways to stain!
If you’re one to want video tutorials, I share these newbie steps AND a number of intermediate/superior steps over on my YouTube channel. Make positive you go test it out if you happen to’re able to study a number of further staining suggestions (plus, I created the proper recipe for the prettiest stain coloration ever, if I do say so myself)!
Step 1: Lightly Sand Your Wood
First and foremost, that you must sand your initiatives. This is an important step to creating positive that all the things else goes easily if you sand. I like to recommend you sand your wooden with a minimum of 120-150 grit sandpaper, however you possibly can actually go greater (when you’ve got the endurance!).
Step 2: Stain your Wood
- Before you start this step, I extremely suggest you take a look at your required stain on a leftover scrap piece of wooden out of your challenge—be sure it’s the identical sort of wooden! Do this as a result of it’s a big ache to take away stain if you happen to don’t like the colour. Be completely sure you’re staining with the correct coloration! I picked a phenomenal darkish walnut coloration to mix.
- When you stain, use a rag or brush and paint the stain in the identical route because the grain.
- For these Varathane Premium stains, let the stain sit in your wooden for 2-Three minutes to realize a one-coat coloration. It might look barely “darker” if you happen to depart it on longer, however Varathane Premium stains are particularly created for one-coat staining, so one coat needs to be all you want!
- Vigorously wipe off all the stain utilizing your disposable rag. Don’t depart any further stain in your challenge or will probably be sticky to the contact.
Step 3: Let Stain Dry for 1 Hour
Before you seal your challenge, be sure it has sufficient time to totally dry. If you reside someplace that’s humid, this ready time may take longer.
Step 4: Seal Your Wood
Especially for initiatives that may see any “wear and tear,” it’s advisable that you just seal your wooden. For the plant stands I’m staining, I’m choosing this Varathane Spar Urethane, which is a waterproof sealant in case I spill any water as I water my vegetation.
- To seal your wooden, use a paintbrush and use as few brush strokes as you possibly can—it will aid you keep away from bubbles from forming.
- This urethane goes on milky in coloration and dries clear. Let every coat dry for two hours, frivolously sand with high-grit sandpaper between coats, and add Three coats.
- Let the urethane treatment for a minimum of 24 hours earlier than you place into use!
I hope this helped you perceive the fundamentals of staining your wooden initiatives! Don’t overlook I share a LOT extra suggestions for staining initiatives over on my YouTube video. Check it out, let me know what you suppose with a remark, and good luck staining!
The publish How to Stain Soft Woods with Varathane Premium appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.